We have achieved the verification of our organisation’s carbon footprint for scopes 1, 2 and 3.
Within our sustainability strategy, as part of the Living Sustainability project, we have met one of our climate action goals and verified the calculation of the organisation’s carbon footprint for all scopes: 1, 2 and 3. This calculation has been verified externally by LRQA España in accordance with ISO 14064-3 2019 and, in conjunction with our plan to reduce emissions, consolidates our firm commitment to progress toward sustainable growth.
After obtaining the verification of the organisation’s carbon footprint calculations, the Spanish Climate Change Office (OECC) has awarded us the “Calculate and Reduce” seal. This certifies the calculation of our emissions in 2022 and guarantees that at Aratubo we have reduced our greenhouse gas emissions due to our industrial activities for scopes 1 and 2 in the last three years.
Our CO2 emissions per tonne in the manufacture of our welded steel pipes has been reduced by 88% since 2019. This significant reduction in our carbon footprint for scopes 1 and 2 has essentially been the result of our comprehensive adoption of renewable energy in all production processes.
What is the carbon footprint?
The carbon footprint of an organisation refers to the total amount of GHG (greenhouse gases) released due to their business activities, both directly and indirectly.
The calculation of the carbon footprint is divided into 3 scopes, each covering different sources of emissions:
- Scope 1: This covers the direct GHG emissions from sources owned by or under direct control of an organisation. This includes the emissions due to burning fossil fuels in the installations owned by the organisation.
- Scope 2: This covers the indirect emissions related to the generation process of the energy used, on the premises of an organisation.
- Scope 3: This covers the indirect emissions generated throughout the whole the supply chain, from extraction of raw materials and production of the products used by the organisation, to waste management.
How is it calculated?
The calculation of an organisation’s carbon footprint is essential to evaluate and understand the environmental impact caused and various factors must be considered, including energy consumption, transport, waste generation and other related activities.
The carbon footprint is calculated using the following formula:
CARBON FOOTPRINT = ACTIVITY DATA x EMISSION FACTOR
- Activity Data: this is the parameter to consider as an emission-generating factor, for example the amount of natural gas (kWh) consumed for heating.
- Emission Factor: this is the amount of GHG emitted by all the “activity data” identified. In the case of natural gas, the emission factor is 0.202 kg CO2 eq/kWh.
Therefore, to calculate the carbon footprint, it is necessary to obtain the records of fossil fuel combustion (used in offices, machinery, warehouses, vehicles, etc.) and electricity during a specific year, in conjunction with the respective corresponding emission factors. Other indirect emissions can also be considered, aside from electricity, such as work-related travel using external means or subcontracted services such as waste management.
Aratubo’s commitment to sustainable development
As set out in our climate action policy, at Aratubo we establish the following basic principles of action to comply with our commitment to climate change:
- Have an ISO 14001 and ISO 5001 certified environmental management system to assess, analyse, manage and reduce environmental risks, as well as to optimise resource and investment management incorporating the relevant climate variables.
- Integrate climate change into our strategy and decision-making, as well as into long-term risk analysis, management and reporting considering the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
- Take appropriate measures to mitigate climate change impacts:
- Establish and review mitigation objectives in the short, medium and long term in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement and subsequent updates made in accordance with climate change science.
- Improve energy efficiency.
- Incrementally introduce more efficient, less greenhouse gas emission-intensive technology at Aratubo.
- Reduce the carbon footprint of Aratubo products, services and processes.
- Promote know-how and internal training at Aratubo to meet the company’s targets to fight climate change and drive supplier understanding as well as adoption of carbon footprint reduction practices.
The application of this action plan in conjunction with external verification of our carbon footprint calculation for scopes 1, 2 and 3 is a major achievement and demonstrates our firm commitment to sustainable development and the responsible management of our carbon emissions.
We are proud to be part of the change toward a cleaner and more respectful future for the benefit of our planet and future generations.